Saturday, July 19, 2008

Do you have Sciatica Nerve Problem?

Just came back from the Gym. Decided to go today after work since I will not be able to go on Sunday. It’s peak hour and there are lots of people, compared to Sunday. My goal today is to do 1 hour of upper body, join the Body Combat class at 9pm, then one hour of glutes and thigh toning, 15 minutes of Sauna, a long hot bath and then head home. Since I can’t do my prayer yet, I do not have to worry about finding a place to do my prayer. So timing is right. No rush! Do it slow and steady.

I arrived at the Gym around 7.30 pm after taking a quick bite at a nearby restaurant. Started with 10 minutes of cycling to warm-up. Thereafter, somehow I started to have a conversation with this guy, I forgot his name, I think it was Alan. We actually discussed POLITICS!! Can you imagine that? Discussing politics in a gym full of people!! Well, I am a pretty good listener, so I just listened to his views about our current politic environment, which you know, kinda like scenes from a Hollywood movie. I listened and made a few comments. After the conversation with Alan, another guy, a trainer started to have a conversation with me, I think he was trying to gauge whether I would be interested to get a trainer. Time flies and before I knew it, 1 hour passed by and I’ve merely done 2 sets of resistance workout for the chest and only 2 sets for the Triceps. First mission failed. I can only make time once a week for the gym !… How can I ever get Nicol David’s triceps with interruptions like this?

Thank God, I managed to complete and achieved Mission Number 2. The Body Combat class was great. It was a very good solid one-hour workout. I felt the pain, but I did not give up, I jumped, I kicked, I lifted my knee high … I persevered.

After body Combat I went to do my glutes and of course the thighs. These are what I call the problem areas. These problem areas are the reason for me signing-up for the Gym membership. After 1½ years, my glutes are still not like what I would imagine it to be when I signed-up. Though I must admit that I can see a bit of improvement down the thigh area, which I can call a small achievement.

My problem whenever I start doing my lower limb workouts is that I have this nerve problem behind my thigh area that start to give me the electric shock, throbbing sensation which I just can’t stand. It is not really a pain, just this very discomforting throbbing sensation to your nerve that make you feel like punching the nerve to ease the throbbing sensation.

I just found out the name of the nerve recently. I have Sciatica. Yes! I have Sciatica nerve problem. The nerve pain that have been preventing me from pushing my self to the limit, when it comes to lower limb workouts is called Sciatica.

I bet a lot of women out there have this and do not know what it is. Sciatica is the main nerve traveling down the leg. From what I understand, pain associated with the sciatic nerve usually originates higher along the spinal cord when nerve roots become compressed or damaged from narrowing of the vertebral column or from a slipped disk. Symptoms can include tingling, numbness, or pain, which radiates to the buttocks legs and feet.

I have been having this nerve problem since I gave birth to my very first child 11 years ago. I think a lot of people have this problem and are not sure what it is actually. I did a bit of research and just want to share some information on Problem that can arise when you have Sciatica nerve problem and how to manage it.

Sciatica is a condition involving pain, weakness, numbness, or tingling in the leg. It is caused by injury to or compression of the sciatic nerve.

This is an article I found in the web on how to Manage your Sciatica
There are a number of practical strategies that can be used to help your sciatica.

1. Obtain a Clear Diagnosis
Because sciatica is really a group of conditions each with a slightly different treatment, knowing the true cause of your sciatica is the first step in managing it effectively.

2. Use a Combination of Measures to Manage Your Sciatica
The most successful treatments are usually a blend of different therapies including externally applied and oral pain relievers, abdominal and lower back muscle strengthening exercises, stress reduction, hydrotherapy, weight loss, improved posture and seating, acupuncture, physiotherapy and improved ergonomics at work and home.

3. Use Externally Applied as Well as Oral Medications
Many external preparations have excellent warming and muscle relaxing properties and often work well in combination with pain relieving tablets. There is also potential to reduce medication side effects such as drowsiness by lowering the dosage of pain relieving tablets.

4. Strengthen Supporting Muscles
Both the lower back muscles and the abdominal muscles give crucial support for the spine and sciatic nerve. Most sciatica patients can safely strengthen these muscle groups using appropriate exercises. Check with your practitioner for strengthening exercises suitable for you.

5. Weight Loss
Being obese or overweight is often a worsening factor for sciatica, and even modest weight reduction can help reduce symptoms.

6. Think Posture
Good posture is regularly a victim of modern day living. Sitting or standing with correct posture allows you to be more balanced, and, surprisingly more relaxed. The occasional “posture reminder” may be all that is required for better sciatica control.

7. Good Seating
Firm, supportive and comfortable seating, which promotes good posture, is a great step towards improved sciatica. The same is true for bedding. Avoid prolonged sitting by getting up for a brief stretch every 30 minutes.

8. Stress Reduction
Meditation, relaxation massage or simply unwinding with some good music can be very helpful in reducing tense back muscles. Set up a regular relaxation programme if possible. If your back muscles are overly tense, you will unlikely be aware of it.

9. Improved Ergonomics at Home or Work
Sciatica thrives where there is repetitive lifting, prolonged sitting, turning and lifting, excessive bending and increased stress in the home or workplace. Consider changes and improvements that reduce sciatica risks. Often very simple changes can produce major benefits, or prevent someone from becoming a sciatica sufferer.

10. Consider Additional Therapies
There are many therapeutic options such as hydrotherapy, balneotherapy (bath therapy), acupuncture, therapeutic massage, pain management clinics, TENS (Trans Electrode Nerve Stimulation), biofeed back, hypnotherapy and physiotherapy. Each has something in its own right to offer the sciatica patient, and used as part of the overall sciatica management plan, may provide great benefit.

No comments: